Thursday, September 1, 2011

Taking things for granted


There are moments in life when you just take things for granted. You wake up, eat, work, and sleep. The cycle goes on for the monotonous lifestyle that is not a stranger to man. There may be times that I do my tasks in life, but I knew there was still something lacking.. Something that I have lost for a while, and it's my fighting heart. I knew I was just way different from the time I was so excited to fight and punch for the first time. The dedication to my work has somehow lessened over the past few months. There have been the regular training, but never have I been at my best in a while. I remembered days, when my punches were far more solid, crisp, and accurate all the time. I was feeling great that I knew no one could stop me. Things have changed, I have taken everything, from my talents, gifts, and my youth for granted. I started reading the Bible for some answers, for I knew God would never abandon me nor hurt me. I know that I am being prepared for a greater task in my life. I have learned to forgive, and it somehow opened a lot of luggage out of my somehow weakened spirit. Just recently, I was riding the public transport so I could reach an appointment that I am already late in. Suddenly, I noticed an old woman who was frail went inside the transport. As we were going, the old woman exclaimed that she had forgotten her wallet. The woman opposite to her, lend her twenty pesos without question. Although out of my business, I felt concerned to the old woman. As she reached her destination, she asked of me to help her, and so I did. I held the old woman on my arms in order to stabilize her to just even stand. I knew from then on, she must be suffering from severe osteoarthritis. As a nurse, I felt an obligation to support the old woman as she crossed the street. I knew that I was late, but decided to help her cross the street, as she had no companion at that time. I went down the transport and carried the old woman's bag and umbrella as she held in my arms to stabilize her. Despite the heavy traffic, I found way, although difficult, to bargain with the drivers on the road. The old woman walked short and slow, that made the ordinary crossing of the highway a five minute walk. I was protecting the old woman, for there were drivers who just don't give a damn about the situation that an old woman is trying to cross the road. As we reached the other side, I somehow felt resolved as I brought her to her destination a few steps after. I asked the old woman in Cebuano dialect, "How old are you?" and she answered she was 61 years old. So I said goodbye and went on to my appointment. These are those few moments that show me that I should not take things for granted. I have seen fighters fighting off their prime and showing their resilience even at such an old age. It was their fighting heart.. the heart of a champion that just takes my breath away every time I see greatness for real. Fighters like Erik Morales, Bernard Hopkins, and a few others who still believe in their capabilities and their passion is fighting. I admire them tremendously that I want to follow their footsteps. I can't be a slump all throughout the day. I will work my best, with inspiration equal to the same fighting heart that started me in this. My talents, gifts, and my youth will not be wasted. I will take the world on my prime, and show them that there is still another fighter out there that is worth counting on.

Picture: Defying his age, Erik Morales, lands a straight right hand on Marcos René Maidana.

No comments:

Post a Comment