Thursday, June 21, 2012

Bradley: Keep the belt and remain hated

 _

     Not to intentionally pun the new WBO Welterweight champion in Timothy Bradley, but let us just face the facts. I would understand that winning a match against Pacquiao is a great accomplishment for the young champion, and it's hard to admit defeat when you know that you worked so hard for the victory. If I was in the place of Bradley, I would keep the belt. Despite his hard work, dedication, and self-reasoning; people's criticisms have begun to make me believe, that the more Timothy Bradley gets hold of the belt, the more he will be hated by boxing fans around the world.

     Even as I score it a close fight, the fans know who really won that fight. Most of us know it, regardless of whether you are a boxing judge, a commentator, or a mere aficionado like myself. I believe that we should not blame the judges for the decision they made, for I have begun to believe and had scored it a close fight. In fact, I had it 116-112 for Pacquiao after a focused review. The wide margin of rounds for Pacquiao looked to close the fight in his favor. It turns out, Bradley got the decision in the end and this has stirred an uproar among boxing fans. As far as I'm concerned a 116-112 scorecard is a round away to a 115-113 that judge Jerry Roth scored for Pacquiao.

     Even from the beginning, as I watched the fight for the first time, I knew it was a close fight. I hadn't scored it initially because I was content to believe that Manny Pacquiao is winning this fight, but by a slight margin. Never have I thought of Bradley getting the victory. At first, I couldn't believe that Timothy Bradley won the fight, and that is why, I had to review the tape and try to see what the judges were seeing in this fight. My words to Bradley, if he happened to miraculously dropped by into my post is, to be a true champion and return the belt to the World Boxing Organization.

     If he takes my word seriously, it will change suspicion, doubt, hate, and misunderstanding among fans and the sport of boxing with a little bit of respect. A respect that grows through simple, yet difficult acts like this. An action that proclaims true maturity of a champion to accept and become open to possibilities. Let us make the right decisions and actions amidst every negativity of trials that even a corrupted world would offer. I just hope the fans will understand Timothy Bradley a little bit more, and begin to put themselves into his shoes.

     Everyone wants to be successful in life and Bradley has just tasted it, although not convincingly. We must give the man some respect. Forget the bad words and the jeers, for it was never his fault. As for Pacquiao, he should have won that fight. I commend his being a gentleman and his deep religious faith, but religion could be a distraction, especially when it comes to ferocity in the ring. As for Bradley, try again and win the world championship. For it is not in the Title that a champion is acknowledged, but it is through his character. A self-trait which matters most than anything else that is written on paper.

Picture: Timothy "Desert Storm" Bradley, in one of his hard and dedicated workouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment