Saturday, October 13, 2012

Sergio Martínez - Julio César Chávez Jr.: Final Thoughts

Before I start, I would like to thank the people across the internet who have stumbled upon my blog. It had recently reach the 9000 view mark.

     The recent Chavez Jr. - Martínez fight was a blast! As predicted, Sergio "Maravilla" Martínez got the victory. Despite the fact that he never finished his man, he still showed a dominant performance against a young challenger in Julio César Chávez Jr. The last round was an epic struggle, as Chávez Jr., was close to knocking out Sergio Martínez. Still, I view that last round struggle as the result of a "Lucky punch." Martínez hung in there and continued on, like a true champion that he is.

     A rematch, in my opinion, is not necessary. Sergio Martínez showed why he is Pound for Pound one of the best fighters in the world. No lucky punch will be able to change this distinction, and I bet that if they do it the second time, the outcome will still be the same. It is either that Martínez would cruise his way on another dominant and one-sided decision or he will eventually get the knock-out sooner or later. In my prediction, I had to gamble with the Martínez punching power, considering the way he took out Paul Williams who was also taller and heavier than Martínez.

     Fundamental Boxing Knowledge has showed us once again why weight advantages favor a fighter when it comes to resiliency and punching power. It usually happens. Still, a knock-out is a variable on the table because of Sergio Martínez previous performances. The whole world is definitely treated with another boxing display, as if Martínez was giving the young Chávez Jr., a boxing lesson. Speed was a supreme variable in this match, and Sergio Martínez had a lot of it.

     My advice for Julio César Chávez Jr., is to clear the drawing table. His merging with Freddie Roach was a good decision, but it would be better if Julio would start learning something new. Keep his bully style of fighting, but develop his head movement and a little bit more hand speed. Now, I'm just an avid boxing fan, and it is clear that I'm no Freddie Roach, but just based on observation, I believe this transition would be necessary for him if he desires to transcend in the sport of boxing.

     I still would hope to see Julio César Chávez Jr. again. He is still young after all and there is still a lot of time to make up for this defeat. A great match I would want to see him in is against Kelly Pavlik. Now that is a compelling match-up. I'd probably go 50/50 on this. At this moment though, it is clear that Sergio "Maravilla" Martínez is the reigning King of the Middleweight Division. I am hoping for better matches to come from both fighters, and I hope someday but not sooner, that they would go and do it again.

Picture: Sergio Martínez showing respect after surviving a last round close knock-out ordeal against Julio César Chávez Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment