Friday, May 7, 2010

Reflexes


In boxing, reflexes are an important aspect of a fighter, in order to dodge well and to punch an opponent on angles. This is also determined by age. Younger people can execute better reflexes compared to the old ones. That is why, age retires in boxing. You can see this idea in the Muhammad Ali vs Trevor Berbick fight. After the disappointing loss to Berbick, Ali was quoted in saying, "I can see the punches, but I could not avoid it. It was age." Reflexes can really turn from Gold to null through age. Not even the reflex-type Ali was able to do anything about it. Reflex to me, is both defense and offense, that is why, stretching is a very good idea after training. Stretching helps circulate blood flow, helps in increasing the size of muscles, and it can give you a very good reflex in the end. In my exercise, I definitely include stretching, for the health benefits, to do some warm-up, and because it actually feels good. The body gets stiff every now and then and results to poor blood circulation. Doesn't it feel better when you get a few crunch sounds from stretching you neck, twisting your hips, especially your hands and feet? It's part of the pleasures that I enjoy, although considering its simplicity. Everyone should try it. I do it a lot. Every night, I relax myself with some yoga. I definitely get a good sleep from it, and it takes a load amount of stress from my system. The results of continuously stretching would make you somewhat flexible. In the past, I had some rough parts that stretches in a limit. At present, I can extend, and overextend. In boxing, this is an asset that will help in terms of footwork, punching angles, defensive dodging, as well as keeps your body at its best condition. In another sense, there is another type of reflex that most boxers utilize. This is the trained reflex. It is a reflex that is activated by certain stimulus, which is trained purposely for defense and offense purposes. One trained reflex, is the counter punching. It is the instantaneous motion of punching at a more powerful type from the moment the stimulus is given. I love counter punching, it would probably be part of how good a boxer I am. Counter punching is good for ceasing an opponents attack, for making the opponent feel more cautious and awkward, and it is a point in Olympic amateur boxing. Another trained reflex, would be the defensive reflex. I am equipped with this sort of reflex, which will make you put your defense from the moment the stimulus will be given, such as a closing in of an opponent, the alternation in positioning of fists after punching, and the rocking chair motion of the upper body once on the defensive. As a person, I wanted to train myself purposely anytime, and anywhere. So I trained myself to be on philly shell defense whenever I get close to any person, like walking on a narrow pathway, and anywhere else. This will also secure myself just like a self defense and be able to be more effective in defense with just a reflex. One thing good about trained reflex is that, you won't be able to put much thought into things, and will let your body somehow, think on its own. A movement that will flow on its own from the moment a stimulus will be given. Now that's skill! Another ingredient for being a champion. I would name a few boxers who I look up to in terms of reflex such as, Floyd "Money" Mayweather, Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker, Muhammad Ali, Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao, and Roy "Captain Hook" Jones Junior. Reflex will always be a big deal, although it is underrated.

Picture: Floyd Mayweather doing some trained reflex on Oscar De la Hoya

No comments:

Post a Comment