Sunday, November 28, 2010

Nurse: Saving and Preserving Life

There are moments in life, that just take your mind out, into thinking deeply. Experiencing circumstances, that seem to relate itself into understanding life, and it's processes. Giving you a whole dimension, into thinking and viewing the world, more than what an average person sees. It is in these experiences, that we begin to learn, and gain wisdom. All are processes, of our growing up, which then helps us better ourselves, when such challenges are confronted and faced. Things are learned, in and out of any organization you choose to be in. For an athlete, things are learned in the gym, for a student, things are learned in school, and for a champion, things are learned in life. As a fighter, not only have I experienced the harsh nature of my sport, and succeeded in terms of enduring them, but I have also been exposed in the hospital setting, as a student nurse. Having experienced one of these priceless moments, that one would feel as if something has changed in them. I have always dreamed, of becoming a world champion someday, that I constantly envision myself in such moment, as I continuously train myself, through sweat and all muscle pain, one can't believe possible. For years, I have trained for that thought, but just parts of these wonderful moments as a nurse, I am able to view things more differently, that an athlete never sees.. The value for life, empathy for affected people, and the care for the weak, these aspects are elements that are innate, and I have learned through the constant hospital exposures, I've had in the past. There are these moments, where I would say, I love my work, and that is, in helping those who are in need. I had lot's of experience as a student nurse, but this experience, for me, is worth for the entire world to know, and to learn from. In a graveyard shift in a public hospital that I've had an exposure of, I was prepared with every materials, a positive mindset, and a body, which is willing to work for the eight hour shift, which was asked of us, but never would I knew, that it would one way or another, change my life in the long run. A traumatic event took place, as a turbulent moment in the Intensive Care Unit rushed me into the scene, by the request of my Clinical Instructor. Inexperienced as I was, I was called to operate a hand-held device, called a Bag valve mask, which is used for patients who are inadequately breathing. I stood right beside the distressed patient, which seemed to looked as if surviving, from the disease process, that had created her condition. The patient was dependent, to the ventilation device, that I match my pressure with breathing rhythm. Looking through the monitors, it is seen, that the patient was already having an irregular cardiac rhythm. The patient's husband, was terrified, crying, and eccentric, that he was shouting over everyone in the unit. In moments of his silence, the husband would cry in prayer. In the height of the moment, the husband decided to go against medical advice, which then prompted the entire staff to stop from there, as a signature was signed, indicating HAMA, or home against medical advice, which was made. He was probably looking for a miracle to happen, but in reality, it is understood that their decision would be fatal. As the nurse deflates the stopper of the endotracheal tube, I was asked to remove it, as I was the only person, wearing gloves at the time. Without question, I removed it. There were criticisms that people made towards my actions, for why did I allow myself to remove, a device that the patient was clearly dependent of. It is true, that the actions that has been done, had a direct effect on life and death. But what else can I do, when the family of the patient have asked of us not to do anymore? Although, I wanted to do something, but then I knew, I couldn't do anymore. These kind of trials, made me reflect, and learn a deeper sense in life, which has made me tougher, as a person. As inexperienced as I was in the past, I felt I will not be bullied into these types of situation again, that as long as there is hope, I am willing to use all my strength, stamina, and work up a sweat, just to save someone's life. I will preserve life, as much as I can, and it doesn't matter on what approach will I use, as long as I save lives. A year has passed, and I have just recently experienced another dramatic situation in the hospital setting. On a graveyard shift, I was assigned in the Intensive Care Unit, but in a different hospital. There was a patient who was again in Endotracheal tube which is attached to a mechanical ventilator. He was conscious, responsive, and was seemingly energetic, despite his condition. He was asked not to remove the tube and follow instructions which were given to him. He became defiant, and removed the tube on his own. He was questioned immediately of his actions, and responded that he wanted to spit, but after a few seconds he experienced shock. Everyone was on rush as they prepare the emergency equipments. I wanted to come in and help, but they asked me to stay out, for there were too much people in the room. My opportunity arrived, when they asked for a cardiac board, which I delivered. As I entered the room, The doctor was performing Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation. In a frantic moment, perhaps noting my physical advantages, the doctor decides to let me do the chest compressions. I swiftly went over and gave all I could, as I knew how to do such procedure. In my mind, I thought to myself, that I will save this man. I was intense, consistent, and desperate. The patient's face looked pale, looking through the monitor, it was seen that the patient has an irregular heart rate. In a moment where hope is deprived, I made myself to think, that I am the hope, that I will definitely save him. I continued for such lengths, that even if the nurse offered to switch turns with me, I said, "It's okay, I can still go on." I never felt tired, when it comes to saving one's life. I went on, and on, with full determination, until his normal heart rhythm has returned, and his face wasn't pale anymore. I felt fulfilled that I did all I could, into something worth doing. For me, nothing beats the feeling of helping people who are in need, in saving lives, and more importantly, serving my father God. I want to help, as long as I have the strength, I will do all I can, to prevent death as much as I can. I understood well, of my mistakes in the past, and I will not allow myself to be placed in that dark pathway again, for I've learned and found the light. People would ask me, "Isn't there anything greater for you, than being a champion?", I would say, "Greater than a champion, is a hero."

No comments:

Post a Comment