Friday, March 13, 2009

Boxing Weight Class Divisions


As a boxer, I know the divisions that surround the excitement beneath the fights that made history to humanity. It is not like people get in the ring and fight, there is a division. People of the same weight are applicable to fight. This then, makes boxing more organized and unbiased. People with heavier weights have enormous sizes with absolute power. People with lower weights tend to be quicker but may lack in reach. I am well-educated in the American Boxing System, and so, although kilos has been the weight unit here in the Philippines, I measure my weight through pounds. As of the moment I am 145 lbs. and that is close to the welterweight and light welterweight division. My fighting weight should be at least 135 to 130 lbs. which is super featherweight and lightweight. These are examples of weight divisions in boxing, so through my knowledge, I will list down the categories that I know of. Find your division!

Heavyweight- 180 lbs +
Super Middleweight- 165 lbs
Middleweight- 160 lbs
Super Welterweight- 154 lbs
Welterweight- 147 lbs
Light Welterweight- 140 lbs
Lightweight- 135 lbs
Super Featherweight- 130 lbs
Featherweight-125 lbs

I always keep an eye on divisions that are famous and closer to my weight division. Although it is still lacking, this is all I know. Hopefully your weight is around here. Most Filipinos stay on the flyweight division(Second to the lowest weight category in boxing which is Strawweight) because of their body structure. The only heavy Filipino boxer that I know of is Former World Champion Ceferino Garcia of the Middleweight division. It would be unusual for Filipinos to reach the heavyweight division.

Picture: Muhammad Ali of the Heavyweight division

2 comments: